Weevil and Stored Product Pest Control & Advice
Predator Pest Solutions are specialists in treating stored product pests. If you would like a free no obligation quote, please call us on 0800 112 3480 or fill in the form on the right.
Information On Weevils & Other Stored Product Pests
In the UK the Saw-Toothed Grain beetle, along with the Grain and Rice weevil, are three of the more common types of stored product pest. However there are many other variants of beetle, moths and mites, which can contaminate products such as nuts, seeds, grain, rice, cereals and processed foods such as flour.
Stored product pests are common throughout the UK. They can live and breed throughout the year in our warm, centrally heated homes, and can be difficult to eradicate. It is therefore important that you seek professional advice and treatment as soon as you become aware of an infestation, especially if you have a commercial property, as their presence can have a significant impact on your business and its reputation. In restaurants or other food premises, contamination of food for human consumption will result in a failure to comply with the hygiene requirements as set out in the food safety (General Food Hygiene) Regulations 2004 and other legislation.
There are four life stages for the weevil: egg, larvae, pupae and adult. This begins when the female lays her eggs directly into a minute hole made into grain with her snout. The eggs will normally hatch into larvae , legless grubs that live totally within the grain itself and are extremely small, making them very difficult to detect. They remain at this stage for several months and go through 4 moults. Throughout this time they continuously feed on the grain, before moving on to the pupae stage. The pupae will remain cocooned for a further week or two before emerging as an adult weevil.
Weevil Infestations & Risks
The adult weevil has an oval, almond shaped body, an elongated snout and are generally darkish brown or black in colour, although the Rice weevil has 4 distinct orange patches on its wing cases.
You should always try to inspect any packages or sacks of flour, grain, cereal, etc for any obvious signs of damage or contamination before purchasing. Weevils and stored product pests are most likely to be found on opening a product, alternatively you may notice damage to the packaging itself, that some of the contents are sticking together or observe small insects crawling over work surfaces.
Stored product pests do not present any significant health risk to pets or humans; the greatest risk is the damage they can cause to your stock and reputation.
Pest Control for Weevils & Stored Product Pests
Treatment is normally by the use of a HSE approved insecticide spray and/or insect monitor traps, which should be applied around the affected areas. All our insecticide treatments are HSE approved and it is safe to return to and use the rooms that have been treated after a few hours. If you have pets, keep them out of the affected area for at least 24 hours.
In most situations it takes up to 60 minutes for our technician to complete their risk assessment, the required treatment and to brief the customer on the actions taken and next steps. However this can be extended if the infestation is in numerous areas or other hazardous conditions exist.
Once completed, the infestation should start to die off, but our technician will return after 7-14 days to confirm this. Some stored product pest infestations, especially those in commercial or multi-occupancy buildings may require additional visits to eradicate all activity.
If you have a stored product pest infestation:
- Remove any contaminated stock from your stores.
- Restrict food sources by storing food within rigid containers.
- Sweep up food spillages immediately and don’t leave uncovered food lying around.
- Regularly clean under kitchen units, appliances and in any other areas where food debris and grease can build.
- Regularly remove rubbish and place in strong bags within a secure external bin.
- Call Predator Pest Solutions on Freephone 0800 112 3480.
On arrival, our technician will:
- Establish the species of stored product pest, their location and size of the infestation.
- Work with the customer to eradicate the food sources being used.
- Determine the most appropriate method to treat.
- Brief the customer on their findings and recommended next steps.
- Ensure the safety of others & protect any food preparation areas.
- Wear their protective equipment and commence with the treatment.
- Determine the correct and optimum locations for any monitor traps and deploy with minimum impact to the customer.
- If required, implement a regular monitoring regime and maintain a site plan of any monitor trap locations.
- Ensure the area is left safe and provide a written report.