Wood Pigeon Pest Control
Predator Pest Solutions are specialists in wood pigeon pest control and management. If you would like a free no obligation quote, please call us on 0800 112 3480 or fill in the form on the right.
Information on Wood Pigeons
Wood pigeons are one of the largest pigeon species in the UK. They are generally less scruffy than feral pigeons and have some key identifying features including; a large grey breast, a white patch on their neck, dark wing tips and white wing patches when in flight.
Within the UK, there are an estimated 8.2 million breeding pairs of wood pigeons and they can be a common sound in rural woodland and gardens. Wood pigeons are evenly distributed across the UK, the majority of which can be found in rural areas, but they do venture into more urban areas such as parks and gardens in the search of food. Wood pigeons have many natural predators such as birds of prey, foxes and badgers, but with so many breeding pairs in the UK, this has a negligible effect on their overall population.
Wood Pigeon Environmental Impact & Risks
Wood pigeons cause a great deal of damage to agriculture, feeding in flocks of up to 1000 birds on arable crops such as oilseed rape, peas, maize, sprouts and many more. It is believed that the introduction of autumn sown oilseed rape in the early 1970’s has contributed to the population growth of wood pigeons around agricultural arable farms. A study by Dr Dave Parrott from The Horticultural Society into the effects of wood pigeons to arable crops in 2014, found that wood pigeons accounted for millions of pounds worth of damage with an estimate of £1,250 per hectare of arable damage caused by wood pigeons. It is for this reason that wood pigeons are considered an agricultural pest and population management is necessary to reducing the loss to arable farmers.
Arable farmers can use many non-lethal deterrents such as gas guns which periodically release a charge of pressurised gas, this creates a loud bang that scares off the wood pigeons. Another example is the scare crow or the eye sack predator decoy. These are all used as a visual deterrent to the wood pigeons leading them to believe that they may be in danger in that area. These techniques can be implemented and used to varying degrees of success. However, after two to three weeks wood pigeons become wise to the decoys and do not scare as easily.
Wood Pigeon Pest Control & Management
Our wood pigeon management team are trained in ethical and sustainable management of wood pigeons and have many years’ experience in this field. We have several options for the control and management of wood pigeons on both agricultural and domestic properties. These management options can be tailored to the size and nature of the job and the clients’ individual requirements. We promote the ethical and sustainable management of wood pigeon populations, to ensure a healthy population, whilst also reducing the damage to arable crops.
If you have a wood pigeon infestation:
- Log any damage.
- Log flock sizes and common locations.
- Log any timings of sightings.
- Ensure any food items and refuse are stored securely.
- Ensure all areas requiring inspection are accessible.
- Call Predator Pest Solutions.
On arrival, our technician will:
- Establish the location and estimate size of the wood pigeon management issue.
- Determine the most appropriate method for access and treatment.
- Brief the customer on their findings and recommended next steps.
- Ensure the safety of others.
- Wear their protective equipment and commence with the treatment.
- Determine the correct and optimum locations for any traps and deploy these with minimum impact to the customer.
- If required, implement a regular monitoring regime and maintain a site plan of the bait or trap locations.
- Make arrangements to complete any requested proofing of the property.
- Ensure the area is left safe and provide a written report.